This is a late blog post from China!
A delayed 13 hours flight was exhausted, but the best remedy for that is sitting on the same table with my parents and brother, shared the new experiences I encountered for the past half year.
What’s your plan for the summer? Enjoy the nice weather out there or recharge yourself with summer school?
No matter what it is, plan ahead and let’s expect the joy and surprises awaiting for us in the upcoming 3 months!
The blog will be not updating until the next time you see me rushing on campus.
First thing first, congratulations if you are approaching to the end of another semester.
Summer is coming, which means the best time of the year to recharge ourselves with sunshine and knowledge is right around the corners.
For the past four months, keeping a regular presence on this blog to share beauty tips was indeed tough. Retweet or merely copy and past could be a solution, but to make Juicy Artsy a great platform for original source for beauty tips and knowledge, it is always necessary to take that extra time to learn new things.
If you are desperate to enrich yourself with more fashion and beauty knowledge, I am more than happy to recommend some upcoming online courses on Skillshare with you.
Similar with Coursera or edX, Skillshare provides online training courses ranger from business, design, fashion, to make-up. Enroll in any of the beauty or fashion related courses, professional make-up artists could become your individual tutor, and you are able to learn the insights and fundamental knowledge about the fashion industry.
Here I would love to highlight some interesting upcoming courses that you could give it a try.
- The First Steps of Fashion Design: From Concept to Illustration— Always have great cloth-design ideas in your mind, but always struggle to jog them down on your sketchbook? Take a look at this beginning level course that allows you to start from learning the proportion of human body.
- Sew A Roll-Up Organizer–Why spending $20 on a makeup brushes organizer if you could make one by your own? Fulfill your summer time with crafting your own creations!
- Instagram for Business – 6 Tips for Marketing on Instagram– As being bombarded with rich media information, marketing through different mediums could be a critical skill to acquire. Instagram is the huge platform for attracting millennials, so start to build your brand awareness on Instagram!
Vera Wang, Alexander Wang, Derek Lam, Wen Liu…dollar signs and prestige are easily add to each of the name. As long as the world fashion design industry goes, even though Asian names are still rare to be shown on Vogue or Cosmopolitan, the unique perspective and Eastern design elements are beginning to come into the view of the public.
The “Absolute stunning” look on First Lady Michelle Obama; Worldwide campaign with H&M that made thousands of people to line up outside the store; The Creative Director for Tod’s; or the World’s #1 ranking street style model of 2015?
Yes, diversity inclusion is becoming buzz and embraced in the fashion industry.
Feels like these legendary people are way too far from daily life? Jing Li, a student from China enrolled in Apparel Design and Technology program at Purdue, might be lead you into the fashion design world on campus, around us.
Read the full story of Jing Li:
If you are a makeup geek, how often do you wash you brushes or substitute your expired products with new ones?
If you are not a fan of makeup, congratulations! You’ve survived from another great chance of getting your skin in trouble with infection.
Not like food or drinks, cosmetic products normally are not labeled explicitly to indicate when their expiration dates. But do you know that the shelf-life for beauty products, especially the ones applied around eye area, could be as short as 3 months?
Instruction Indicates Shelf-life of Cosmetic Products.
What could be much more horrible than that? Based on research conducted by scientists from London Metropolitan University, one of the bugs found in out-of-date cosmetic products “enterococcus faecalis”, is “a main cause of meningitis, which kills more children under five than any other infectious disease in the UK.”
As the same study suggested, majority of us are not crystal clear about when to throw away those jars of bacteria into the trash can.
The research implied the following bugs or bacterias were found in those expired cosmetic products:
Most Commonly Found Bacteria in Expired Beauty Products
Shocked by these facts? This great article might help you figure out how to find the expiration date.
*This is the fun fact/ interesting observation blog
Swirl back to the time when I first stood in front of the millions of racks of beauty products, got my hands on those glamorous-wrapping things, I always felt myself experiencing “Alice in the Wonderland”– Everything seemed so beautiful, but where shall I start? What’s the difference between liquid foundation and powder foundation? What’s the difference between bronzer and contour?
To help you better handle with this dilemma, don’t rush yourself to pay for the products. Before that, let’s figure out:
- What is your skin type?— This is always the No.1 concern, no matter you are picking out a skin care product or cosmetic product. If you are oily and happen to use a product for dry skin? 100 percent chance of becoming a greasy ball. Generally there are three 4 types of skin: Oily, dry, normal or combination. Take a look at the following picture to help you out.
Not vivid enough? Watch the following YouTube video for detailed guidance to self-test:
- What is your skin tone? — It might be disappointed to know that there is no universal color system for skin tone, that’s why you need to swatch the foundation in person to decide which shade fits you the best, but there are the following general types of skin tone:Once you’ve got a sense of which category you fall into, it must be easier to narrow down your selection. Based on the drugstore products I’ve tried, I would recommend Rimmel’s match foundation for DRY SKIN, and Maybelline’s Instant Age Rewind for OILY SKIN. Think about peer review for more advices, such as Allure and Beauty Pedia
- What occasions will you be wearing the cosmetics products for?–Or let’s put it this way: How do you want your complete look feels like? Professional? Sweet? Seductive? Minimal? If you are about to go for an interview or you are still a student, then nude color combination of eyeshadow might work best for you. If you are picking out products for girls night out, then definitely go with bold colors. Following
We are living in an age that the public opinion could be affected or even shaped by the media intensively. Don’t believe it?
In the year of 2001, a research article released by the Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media investigated how women are being depicted on three major network prime time TV fictional series. The demographics and behaviors of main characters in both both of the genres: drama and comedy, were codified by researchers. The result of the research indicated:
- The ratio of men to women characters was 1.7:1 ;
- Male characters were normally physically aggressive, while women were always being associated with verbal aggressions in comedies;
- Female characters in dramas and comedies were more likely to be depicted as the first to initiate affection toward the other party;
- Job status of women were normally lower.
According to the research, even though the ratio of men to women characters in prime-time TV shows were getting smaller, the process was much lower than expected. What might be the reason of this ratio? Why male characters were normally depicted as the one with higher social status? Scholar Jack Glascock suggested it could be a reflective representation of the real life. Because of the greater numbers of male producers and writers, female characters were short in terms of presence on the traditional media.
What about the representation of professional females? Sex objects; mother; child and iron maiden are the four typical stereotypes of women when it comes to professional women, according to a study conducted in 2009.
If you are able to recall of what Hilary Clinton being referred as “a scolding mother, talking down to a child” by CNN, you could have a mental picture of a political women being a victim of stereotyped as a bad tempered mom.
We love to claim that the society is becoming much more diverse and equal, yet would you still hold this opinion after seeing these mentioned facts?
In the year of 2015, 9230 international students enrolled in Purdue, which constitutes 23.4% of the whole student body. Also, according to the same enrollment and statistic report released by Purdue, we hold the 1st position in the U.S. for international students major in STEM majors.
Science, technology, engineering and math are the four majors that attract majority of Chinese international students to pursue their bachelor degree in U.S. colleges. Why? Not only because they are good at math, but also for the greater career opportunities that allow them to stay in the U.S. after graduation.
This is not true for Jing Li, a Senior from Fashion Design major here at Purdue University. Why did she made this unique decision, to pursue for her degree in such a university that known for its distinctive achievements in STEM disciplines?
Noticeable, what Jing mentioned about her parents’ decision over her college major selection is a common phenomenon prevails among Chinese international students. Most of the students study abroad made their decision to dedicate in certain disciplines that affected a lot by their parents’ will.
Not surprisingly, Asian parents don’t really want their children to involve in fashion design or related disciplines, which are seen as not stable career choices. Rather, being a “Yappie” is what they hope their kids to be: Young Asian Professionals!